The EGEN8 is a E-Gen series solid body electric guitar model introduced by Ibanez for 2010. It is a signature model of guitarist Herman Li, known for his work primarily with the British power metal band DragonForce. The EGEN8 was produced in Indonesia.
The EGEN8 is a more affordable version of Li's original signature guitar, the EGEN18. Both models are based on the S series but feature a number of changes, including the "kung fu grip" on the upper horn.
The EGEN8 features a flamed maple top on an African mahogany body bolted to a maple neck with a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with abalone oval position markers. Components include a special version of the Edge III double locking tremolo bridge with a screw-in tremolo arm rather than the standard push-in bar and Ibanez pickups with V7 & V8 humbuckers flanking an S1 single-coil.
For 2018 the rosewood fretboard was replaced by jatoba.
Differences from the EGEN18 include an Edge III tremolo (in place of the EGEN18's Edge Zero) and Ibanez Vintage pickups (rather than the custom DiMarzio pickups on the EGEN18). The EGEN8 also loses the scalloped upper frets of the high-end model.
The EGEN8 was discontinued after 2019.
|2010 - Ibanez EGEN8|
- Herman Li (artist page), Ibanez Europe, archived November 2017
- 2010 Europe catalog (page 36)
- 2012 USA catalog (page 32)
- 2014 North America catalog (page 5)
- EGEN8 product page, Ibanez USA, archived May 2016
- 2017 Europe catalog (page 5)
- EGEN8 product page, Ibanez USA, archived November 2017
- EGEN8 product page, Ibanez USA, archived January 2018
- EGEN8 product page, Ibanez USA, archived January 2019